Until now, my description of secure natural communications has been conceptual, with a few examples. Before we go further it is useful to tease out more of what the words mean in the original statement describing secure natural communications:
Any player (person or device) can have a rich communications experience at will with any target without encumbrances of distance or additional devices.
Here are some elaborations of the above goal.
A rich communications experience. Included in this would be:
• Finding someone I’ve never communicated with
• Having a record of the relevant threads of information that I previously have with this group.
• Having the universe of social networking capabilities at my fingertips.
• In particular, sharing all types of data, using all types of media
• Being able to tie in the history of communications that are relevant.
• A range: from purely communicating to requesting a complex computing task with sophisticated semantics
• Security and privacy
…at will. Included in this would be:
• I don’t need to plan to find addressing conventions to locate the other player.
• I can use my natural means of communicating and a sensory rich world will understand my physical gestures and understand the semantics
• Speech recognition, gestures, natural language, are supported
• All media types are supported
• There are means (such as pervasive video screens or wearables) for me to get responses
…with any target. Included in this are groups, so it would include:
• Being able to create new groups with security and privacy
• Being able to create ad hoc groups to achieve some new task without a great deal of overhead – and still have the rich communications experience.
• Being able to join groups and get access to their shared history
…without encumbrances of distance. Included in this is:
• Assuming the very high bandwidth backbone in which bandwidth is not a constraint.
• Assuming the very high bandwidth local wireless network that gives adequate untethered bandwidth to get to the high bandwidth fiber backbone
• Developing protocols that work well with this unlimited bandwidth
• Recognizing that for certain purposes there are still constraints of propagation delay
…or additional devices• Implies that there are natural user interfaces (speech, gesture) that can be relied on; i.e. the technology is good enough
• Implies that when using such natural interfaces in a noisy area that my specific sentences and commands will be heard
• Understands that this might require nano-scale wearable microphones
• Any language
• Recognizes that many people will want to continue to use keyboard for input
• Recognizes that a variety of display and storage devices will continue to be needed
This provides a more complete description by example of the type of capability that is desired. Next posting I’ll provide a little more general background, before moving to a more detailed discussion of the constructs that can deliver this and the technologies that are needed.